Saturday, February 27, 2010

Just recently I had grilled octopus (it was a special) in a Mediterranean restaurant and absolutely loved it. I had decided that it had become my favorite comestible sea animal . Unfortunately, I found out that octopus at restaurants is extremely rare, and that it is very hard to make yourself. When I looked up recipes for octopus I found that the key to making good octopus recipes lies in tenderizing the octopus, otherwise it will have a rubbery consistency. Unfortunately, there is no established way to go about tenderizing an octopus. Many recipes are cryptic in that they simply say "tenderize the octopus." Upon further research, I found that the best, tender octopus experiences were had when the tenderizing method included beating the octopus over a table or another hard object for quite a while. Someone suggested letting it simmer for an hour, some said a half hour, depending on the size of the octopus. Overall, the tenderizing process is seen as the anathema of making octopus because if it goes wrong, the dish is ruined. Hopefully one day I will be able to make an octopus dish as tasty as I had in the restaurant.

No comments: