Monday, December 1, 2008

Bread Givers

So far I am really enjoying this wonderful book. During class, many good points were made about the meaning of respect, and it's significance in the story, as well as western matriarchal societies. This book is doing a great job in displaying the poverty of the Lower East Side Jews during the 1920s. I really enjoyed chapter 5 and the scene where Fania receives a love note, and her father disrespected her and read it before her and said she could never marry a poor poet. 

2 comments:

RyanH said...

Minot, I too am enjoying this book and have the same views on the topic you wrote about. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

MLevitt said...

I agree and I think that respect is a major theme of this book and will continue to be part of our conversations in class.