Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My favorite short story is The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. This little story surprised me with it's ending, and made me realize that short stories can provide as much of a surprise and enjoyment that a novel can. Before I had read this, I thought short stories were silly, and that only books could be thought provoking or have good plot twists. But after this, I have become a fan of short stories. Another worth mentioning is the one  Mrs. Slockett's class read in the beginning of the year. It was the story about a community of werewolves, although it never actually says it, that is witnessing a werewolf turn into a human. The story is one huge role reversal, with werewolfs thinking that humans were revolting creatures that must be put down. This short story also provided an excellent and unexpected twist in the plot that puts short stories in a whole new light.

No comments: